Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Food Storage for Doomsday? NO! For Emergencies? YES!



Many people are turned off by the thought of storing food and provisions for Doomsday.  I must admit that I agree.  However, I do believe that there is great wisdom in preparing a stock of food, provisions and emergency equipment to sustain you in cases of emergency.  I often hear people say, “There has never been a situation where I needed to use food storage or equipment in the past.  Why would I need it in the future?”  All I can say is that if this is your case, you have been very lucky.  All you need to do is turn on the evening news to see disasters and emergencies happening all around you.  Many of the disasters you see on the news are large scale, devastating disasters.  However, I have found that most of the emergencies that occur around my home are not so news worthy, but none-the-less emergencies.  I don’t like to prepare because I am scared to death of what may come, but because I like the peace of mind that preparation gives me. 

The following are common emergency situations when stored food and equipment would come in very handy:

  • Power outages
  • Winter storms (difficult to go to the store)
  • Illness (difficult to go to the store)
  • Economic Emergencies – Loss of job, etc.
  • Natural Disasters

If nothing like the above has ever happened to you, consider yourself very lucky.  On the other hand, the law of averages is not on your side.  I like to think of my food storage as insurance.  Most people feel that purchasing insurance for medical, life and auto are very important.  Have you ever lost your car to an accident that was not even your fault?  What would you have done if you had no insurance to help you replace the car?  With food storage, I know that if any of the above situations happen to my family and me, and they have, that I will be more able to provide for my family.  This gives me a sense of peace.   You can be much more self-sufficient and rely less on the help of the government or neighbors if you are prepared with your own food storage. 

Living with food storage is a way of life.  I like to think of my food storage as a little store that I can go to, to help me prepare meals everyday.  If I use and replenish the things I use, it will always be there to support my family and I.  In order to do this, you must have a plan that includes the following processes:

  1. Set aside the money to purchase food storage
  2. Learn what to buy and how use your food storage
  3. Eat what you store
  4. Replenish your storage as you use it
  5. Manage your food storage so that it will not be wasted

Think of the story of  “The Ant and The Grasshopper”, the grasshopper foolishly enjoyed his life without giving much thought to how he would provide for himself in the cold of winter.  The ant, on the other hand, was fortunate enough to see the need for preparation.  He wisely prepared for his future in the cold days of winter.   This is a simple story, but it does illustrate the importance of preparation.

Reasons why people don’t prepare:

  • They can not see the need
  • They believe that others will take care of them
  • Lack of money to purchase food storage
  • Procrastination

If you still don’t see a need, just look around.  Better yet, just look back on your situation for the past several years.  Think about the times when some food storage would have made things a lot easier. Step up and prepare to take care of yourself and your family.  If your finances are short, start small.  Little by little you can become prepared. Don’t procrastinate.  There is no better time to begin.

To purchase any Shelf Reliance Thrive product, click the link below:



No comments:

Post a Comment