Monday, April 30, 2012

What's For Dinner Tonight?


What shall I cook for dinner?  That is the question that I ask myself every afternoon about 5:00 pm.  If only I had planned ahead.  Let’s see.  What is in the refrigerator?  Hm, not much that is inspiring.  Can you identify with this scenario? 

This is what often happens at my house.  However, now that I have Shelf Reliance Thrive products in my home, it is a lot easier to think up a great menu at the last minute.  Tonight I made a delicious crustless quiche.  I made it crustless on purpose because my husband and I don’t need the extra fat that comes with a crust.  I promise, that was the main reason but my secondary reason was to save time.  I made this quiche almost entirely out of Thrive products.   Here is the recipe.

Crustless Quiche




4  T. Thrive Egg Powder
1/3 C. Instant Milk Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1 T. Flour
2 C. water
¾ C. Thrive Freeze-dried broccoli reconstituted with ¾ C. hot water and drained
½ C. Thrive Mushrooms
¼ C. Thrive Onions
1/3 to ½ C. Thrive Sausage
1/3 C. Thrive Cheddar Cheese or more if you like

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Place freeze-dried broccoli in a bowl and cover with ¾ C. hot water for 10 minutes.     Drain well and place broccoli in the bottom of the pie plate.
3.  Mix first 5 ingredients above (dry ingredients) well in a mixing bowl.
4.  Place mushrooms, onions and sausage into the bottom of the pie plate along with the broccoli.  (They do not need to be rehydrated.)
5.  Gradually whisk water into the dry ingredient mixture and pour over the top of broccoli, mushrooms, onions and sausage in the pie plate.
6.  Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
7.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until slightly browned on top.   Toothpick stuck into the center should come out clean when done.
8.  Cool slightly then serve.

It turned out great!  I served it with a nice green salad and a heated roll.  My husband said it was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this last night, using eggs from my own chickens and decreasing the water slightly. What a great meal! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete