Saturday, April 28, 2012

Emergency Water Purification Methods


Now, lets say that you have used up your stored water and need to get water suitable for drinking from another source.

Things you should know:

·      Most surface water contains microorganisms and/or pollutants
·      Microorganisms include protozoa, bacteria and viruses
·      When microorganisms are consumed they can cause diseases such as dysentery, cholera, typhoid or hepatitis
·      Microorganisms come in varying sizes – Protozoa – largest, Bacteria - medium, Viruses – smallest.  This is important because the size of the pores in a water filter determines what it can filter out.  All filters do not filter out all microorganisms
·      Pollutants are either man-made or natural and can cause illness or death
·      Running water such river water is more desirable than standing water
·      It is valuable to know what is up-stream – any sources of pollution
·      Sea water (salt water) should not be used for drinking water
·      A person can die after 3 days with no water


Methods of making water suitable for drinking

1.    Purification
·      Boiling
·      Chemical Treatment
·      UV Light Purification
2.    Filtration
3.    Distillation

Note: Often it is best to use more than one method in combination to get the best result

This is serious stuff.  You don’t hear of people dieing from drinking bad water much these days, but I have an ancestor who died of Cholera while migrating to the West in the 1800’s.  I myself have had Montezuma’s Revenge while traveling in Mexico.  This is not something I would like to add to an emergency situation.  I especially worry about my grandchildren.  So, I want to know everything I can to prepare for keeping my family healthy in emergency situations.  Please come back for my next post.  I will give more detailed information on purification, filtration and distillation and equipment used in each case.  Please visit my website for more information or to purchase water purification supplies and equipment at:



No comments:

Post a Comment