Monday, April 23, 2012

Rotation vs. Static Food Storage


I have found that there are differing thoughts on the best way to get and maintain food storage.  Some believe that it is best to buy it and store it away until the emergency occurs.  I like the idea of buying my food storage along and rotating it.

Arguments for Rotation:

  1. I don’t have to keep track of food expiration dates 10 – 25 years in the future.  Foods that have been stored for long periods of time often pass their time of usefulness unnoticed.  There is nothing more expensive than wasted food. 
  2. I can enjoy using my food storage now as a convenience and because it has an extended shelf life, I can feel free to mix in fresh foods in season, making our meal plan more manageable and cost effective.
  3. Because I am using my food storage now, I will know how to best adapt it in an emergency situation. Experience will give me the knowledge I need to make the best tasting foods.
  4. I will know what equipment I need to use with my food storage.
  5. I will know how to make recipes that my family will enjoy.  It is important that food is a comfort in an emergency rather than a stress.
  6. If I rotate my food storage, I will be able to add new and improved products as they come out and won’t be stuck using or throwing away out dated, less convenient and possibly less nutritious foods in the future. 
Arguments for Static Food Storage:

  1. It gives peace of mind just knowing it will all be there when needed.
  2. Once it has been purchased there is nothing else to do.
  3. With the long shelf lives of food available today, it may last for the time period that is left in the owner’s lifetime.
  4. They feel it is more cost effective to buy it once and risk that their emergency will come before it expires.
  
At any rate, I believe that you should go with the method that fits your needs.  The most important point is to be prepared for emergencies that may come your way.  It may be something as small as a lost job or as large as a damaging earthquake.  The point is that none of us have a crystal ball to know what is in our future.   So, we need to prepare now.

For information on Shelf Reliance Thrive foods, rotation systems and emergency supplies, check my website:

No comments:

Post a Comment